April 24, 2020
Mazda MDARS provides complete dealer-level vehicle diagnostic and reprogramming coverage on Mazda 7th generation vehicles, starting with 2019 Mazda 3 and 2020 CX-30 models. The next-generation Mazda Motor Company vehicle diagnostic software designed for use with Mazda VCM II and certified J2534 interfaces. MDARS uses the same license as IDS at no additional cost. Mazda IDS license you purchase also includes the MDARS license. It's based on Linux / Chromium project.
Let me explain what MDARS is and how it works.
Questions and Answers
1) What are the recommended laptop specifications for running MDARS?
a. Operating System: Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit only)
b. Google Chrome version: 76
c. Processor Memory (RAM): 4 GB or greater
d. Processor (RAM) Speed: 2.1 GHz or greater
e. Storage: SSD - Solid State Drive 256GB
f. Processor: Intel I5 6000 or higher
g. USB Ports: 3 - USB 3.0
NOTE: Reference Mazda Techinfo sites under System Requirements for more detailed information
2) Is there any new hardware required?
a. No. MDARS is fully compatible with the Mazda VCM II
b. MDARS does not support VCM I
3: I'm using old VCM with Mazda IDS, should I buy new Mazda VCM II?
A: MDARS works only with VCM II or certified J2534 interfaces. If you already have a Certified J2534 interface, no need to purchase another interface.
4) What are the J2534 supported interfaces?
a. Drew Tec CarDAQ-M / CarDAQ-Plus2
b. Bosch KTS560
5) Do I need to purchase a new computer to use FDRS?
a. See “Recommended Laptop Specifications” above.
6) Will I need a new license to use MDARS?
a. No. MDARS uses the same IDS license at no additional cost.
7) Can I have two computers for IDS and FDRS with the same license
A: Yes. You can install on two separate computers or IDS and FDRS on the same machine.
8) What vehicle(s) does MDARS support?
a. MDARS is used on Mazda 7th generation vehicles starting with the following all-new models:
9) Are Mazda IDS going to be discontinued?
a. No. IDS is required as MDARS transitions to full vehicle support. IDS will remain the diagnostic tool for all supported legacy vehicles, Mazda 6th Generation vehicles, and prior.
10) What internet browsers are supported?
a. Google Chrome 76
11) Can I have only MDARS?
a: To have full coverage for Mazda vehicles, you will need to install IDS and MDARS.
12) I'm in the place I don't have internet, will FDRS work?
A: Sorry pal that does not work as legacy Mazda IDS, MDARS offline work limited functions.
13) I understand a stable and reliable active Internet connection to the Mazda network in the shop is critical to ensuring efficient and proper operation of MDARS; however, I currently do not have reliable Internet connectivity in my service bay. What can I do?
a. Capture the VIN, move to a location where the internet is available, and download the tools; some tools will remain when connecting to a vehicle
b. MDARS provides some off-line support for critical diagnostic procedures in situations when the internet is not available at the vehicle location, for example, on-road testing, etc. ie. A system requiring internet access is indicated by the Wi-Fi icon next to the tool
c. Improve internet connectivity throughout the shop and service bays
14) What is the additional software required?
a. For Legacy vehicles Mazda IDS only; No other software is required
15) Are there any firewall settings that require updating to run MDARS?
a. No unique firewall settings are necessary beyond what is needed for Mazda IDS
b. Ensure user always selects “Allow Access” when prompted
16) Can I reuse the same tool (session) or applications for different vehicles?
a. Each tool is VIN-specific; some data will need to be downloaded for each vehicle
17) How are SYNC updates performed with MDARS?
a. SYNC programming functions can be accessed through the MDARS toolbox using the APIM module selection
18) How do I report a specific issue that occurs when using MDARS?
a. To report a concern that does not require additional assistance, utilize the ‘Report a Problem’ feature within FDARS. This is found by selecting the envelope icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
b. If the concern requires immediate attention, contact Technical Support
19) After installing the latest MDARS software, MDARS does not operate properly. What should I do?
a. Uninstall MDARS and all data; download the most recently available build
b. If the concern continues, contact Technical Support
20) Why can’t I connect to the Mazda server or download MDARS tools/files?
a. Please ensure the following:
i. Connected to internet
ii. PC has an MDARS application's latest version installed with a valid software license.
iii. Google Chrome
iv. If concern continues, contact Technical Support
21) After performing Programmable Module Installation (PMI), Software Updates, or Configuration, the procedure screen is white, and it takes a while to return to the toolbox. Is this a concern?
a. During this time, data is being sent back to the Company. Please wait until the toolbox is displayed.
22) Why does the module view only show HS1 and HS2 even though the vehicle has additional networks?
a. This view represents the networks MDARS uses to communicate to the Gateway Module
23) Why does Vehicle History not display the tests I ran in the last five minutes?
a. Vehicle History is created from data sent to Mazda every five minutes; this may cause a brief delay in viewing recent history. This will be resolved in a future release.
24) What does ST, DL, PB, RC, MF, and OTX Application in Vehicle History indicate?
OTX Application=PMI, software update, or configuration
NOTE: More descriptive Titles will be added in a future release.
25) Why doesn’t the Device Connection and Battery Status icon state change when a disconnect occurs while running some of the MDARS tools?
a. While some tools are running, these icons stay at their last known state. This is due to the same VCMII/VCMM device connection being required to run the tool and determine the connection state.
26) After first identifying a vehicle, the vehicle graphic in the upper right corner is always displayed in the color white. Is this intended?
a. Yes. The vehicle graphics do not reflect the actual paint color of the vehicle identified
27) Is there training available for MDARS, and where can I find it?
a. Yes. Webinar and web-based training is offered through dealer portal.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Every day, technology changes and that technology is going into the vehicle; it just more than just fixing cars. We have special factory tools and software subscriptions. Get the technology and resources that don't exist for other independent shops. Our gold is to provide in-depth knowledge of new systems that will be available to your workshop.
Diagnoex | RI Labs Inc., California, USA. Provide dealer level automotive diagnostic solution—the bridge between OEM dealer Tools, software, and the aftermarket repair shops. We facilitate OEM-level diagnostic solutions with dealer-level support for on-car computer programming, maintenance, and repairs. We only sell original equipment and parts.
At Diagnoex, we believe that honesty, integrity, and respect are exceeding the expectations of our associates and our customers. The concept of doing the right thing for the first time., no matter what, is embedded into the values that we all strive to fulfill throughout our work, commitment to quality, and authentic products.
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more…
© 2020 Diagnoex .
All trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade dress, product names and logos appearing on the site are the property of their respective owners, including in some instances DIAGNOEX. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.