Ford FDRS provides complete dealer level vehicle diagnostic and reprogramming coverage for some 2018 and forwards US model vehicles. The next generation Ford Motor Company vehicle diagnostic Software designed for use with VCM3, VCM II, VCMM, and certified J2534 interfaces. FDRS uses the same license as IDS at no additional cost. Ford IDS license you purchase also includes the FDRS license. Let me explain what FDRS is and how it works.
Questions and Answers
1) What are the recommended laptop specifications for running FDRS?
a. Operating System: Windows 7 or Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit only)
b. Internet Explorer Versions: IE 11 (32 Bit)
c. Processor Memory (RAM): 8 GB or greater
d. Processor (RAM) Speed: 2.4 GHz or greater
e. Storage: SSD - Solid State Drive 256GB
f. Processor: Intel I5 6000 or higher
g. USB Ports: 3 - USB 3.0
NOTE: Reference PTS/Motorcraft sites under System Requirements for more detailed
2) Is there any new hardware required?
a. No. FDRS is fully compatible with the Vehicle Communication Module II (VCMII), VCM3 and the Vehicle Communication & Measurement Module (VCMM)
b. VCM I and VMM are not supported by FDRS
3: I'm using old VCM-I with IDS, should I buy new VCM II?
A: FDRS works only with VCM3, VCM-II or certified J2534 interfaces. If you already have a Certified J2534 interface no need to purchase another interface.
4) Do I need to purchase a new computer to use FDRS?
a. See “Recommended Laptop Specifications” above.
5) Will I need a new license key to use FDRS?
a. No. FDRS uses the same license as IDS at no additional cost. FDRS must be installed on the same PC as IDS.
6: Can I have two computers for IDS and FDRS with the same license
A: No. It must be with the same computer, same windows partition. If you want to have two separate systems, then you must buy two different licenses.
8) What vehicle(s) does FDRS support?
a. FDRS initially supports 2018MY Ecosport, Expedition, and Navigator in NA, SA, and AP
9) Are IDS going to be discontinued?
a. No. IDS is required as FDRS transitions to full vehicle support. IDS will remain the
diagnostic tool for all supported legacy vehicles 2017MY and prior, as well as some
2018MY and 2019MY vehicles.
10) What internet browsers are supported?
a. IE 11 must be used
Q: Can I have only FDRS?
A: To have full coverage for Ford vehicles you will need to install IDS and FDRS.
7: I'm in the place I don't have internet, will FDRS work?
A: Sorry pal that does not work as legacy IDS, FDRS offline work limited functions.
13) I understand a stable and reliable active Internet connection to the Ford network in the shop is critical to ensuring efficient and proper operation of FDRS; however, I currently do not have reliable Internet connectivity in my service bay. What can I do?
a. Capture the VIN, move to a location where internet is available and download the tools;
some tools will remain when connecting to a vehicle
b. FDRS provides some off-line support for critical diagnostic procedures in situations when the internet is not available at the vehicle location, for example, on-road testing, etc. i. A procedure requiring internet access is indicated by the Wi-Fi icon next to the tool
c. Improve internet connectivity throughout the shop and service bays
11) What is the additional software required?
a. IDS only; No other software is required
12) Are there any firewall settings that require updating to run FDRS?
a. No unique firewall settings are necessary beyond what is necessary for IDS
b. Ensure user always selects “Allow Access” when prompted
14) Can I reuse the same tools or applications for different vehicles?
a. Each tool is VIN-specific; some data will need to be downloaded for each vehicle
15) How are SYNC updates performed with FDRS?
a. SYNC programming functions can be accessed through the FDRS toolbox using the APIM
16) How do I report a specific issue that occurs when using FDRS?
a. To report a concern that does not require additional assistance, utilize the ‘Report a Problem’ feature within FDRS. This is found by selecting the envelope icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
b. If the concern requires immediate attention, contact Technical Support
18) After installing the latest FDRS software, FDRS does not operate properly. What should I do?
a. Uninstall FDRS and all data; download the most recently available build
b. If the concern continues, contact Technical Support
19) Why can’t I connect to the Ford server or download FDRS tools/files?
a. Please ensure the following:
i. Connected to internet
ii. PC has IDS R107 or later installed with a valid software license
iii. Adjust Internet Explorer's Trusted Sites zone per the PTS Requirements
document available on the PTS Home, click Help on the upper right corner then
click on PTS requirements under the Need to know section.
iv. If concern continues, contact Technical Support
20) After performing Programmable Module Installation (PMI), Software Updates, or Configuration the procedure screen is white, and it takes a while to return to the toolbox. Is this a concern?
a. During this time data is being sent back to the Company. Please wait until the toolbox is displayed. This will resolve in a future release.
21) Why does the module view only show HS1 and HS2 even though the vehicle has additional networks?
a. This view represents the networks FDRS uses to communicate to the Gateway Module
22) Why does Vehicle History not display the tests I ran in the last five minutes?
a. Vehicle History is created from data sent to Ford every five minutes; this may cause a brief delay in viewing recent history. This will be resolved in a future release.
23) What does ST, DL, PB, RC, MF, and OTX Application in Vehicle History indicate?
OTX Application=PMI, software update, or configuration
NOTE: More descriptive Titles will be added in a future release.
24) Why doesn’t the Device Connection and Battery Status icon state change when a disconnect occurs while running some of the FDRS tools?
a. While some tools are running, these icons stay at their last known state. This is due to the same VCM3, VCMII/VCMM device connection being required to run the tool and determine the connection state.
25) Why don’t the module colors in the toolbox update after clearing CMDTCs?
a. This will be resolved in a future release. To refresh the view, select the “Rerun Network Test” button.
26) After first identifying a vehicle, the vehicle graphic in the upper right corner is always displayed
in the color white. Is this intended?
a. Yes. The vehicle graphics do not reflect the actual paint color of the vehicle identified
17) Is there training available for FDRS, and where can I find it?
a. Yes. Webinar and web-based training is offered through STARS
IDS Model Additions
2018 Fusion (Base/HEV)
2018 Transit Connect
IDS Model Additions
Rest of World
2017 Ford GT
2017 Ford GT
I hope this information helps. If you need more info or want us to help set up FDRS please let us know.
Comments will be approved before showing up.